Monday, October 12, 2009

Perfect Apple Pie


I think I got this from A Taste of Home magazine many years ago. I have loved it ever since. It is the perfect apple pie!

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup shortening
4-5 Tbsp. cold water

Combine the flour and salt and then cut in shortening. Add water slowly until dough forms a ball. Chill 30 minutes.

Filling:
7-8 cups peeled, sliced apples
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
2 Tbsp. butter
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp. water

Toss apple slices and lemon juice together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg and mix. Then add apples. Pour mixture into rolled out pie crust, dot with butter. Roll out top crust, and lay on top of apples; seal and flute edges. Beat egg yolk and water and brush over pastry. (Then I generously sprinkle sugar on top of the pastry crust).
Bake 425 for 15 min. Then reduce heat to 350 and bake 40-45 minutes until golden and bubbly.
(I usually cover the edges of my pie crust for half of the baking time so they don't get too dark).

No comments: