I learned that roasted red peppers freeze wonderfully, making this an easy go-to soup (more like a bisque)!
Cover the bowl with a lid or a dish to make it airtight to build up steam. Let the peppers rest in the bowl for 10 minutes. Uncover, remove from the bowl and the skin will slide off easily. Cut the pepper in half to core and remove seeds.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, garlic, and herbs and saute until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, roasted bell peppers, potato. Bring to a simmer over high heat .Decrease the heat to medium-low and cover, simmer until the potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
With an immersion hand blender, puree the soup in the pot with the sour cream until it is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the grated parmesan and ladle into bowls.
- Serve soup with grilled cheese sourdough sandwiches! Yum.
- Herbs de Provence Mix
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried savory (I haven't looked for this yet)
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram or 1 TB. dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers (optional)
Mix in a bowl and store in an airtight container. This recipe could easily be cut in half. I just combined a few different recipes I found on-line. I just made a mix with the herbs that I could find in my cupboard. Just do your best, it will still taste wonderful!