This is my go-to recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu. I can't find a link to it on Our Best Bites website...but it is from them! I got this recipe in my cookbook. It is delicious!
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/3 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella, provolone or swiss cheese
6-12 slices thinly sliced ham
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray,
2. Place a breast on a cutting board and place your non-dominant hand on top of it. Using a sharp knife, cut each breast completely in half horizontally. Place each piece between two pieces of plastic wrap and using a meat mallet, pound until the piece is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Repeat with remaining breast halves; you should have 6 pieces of chicken.
3. Combine seasonings and sprinkle evenly over one side of each chicken piece. Divide shredded cheese among all pieces, layering on top of the spices. On top o the cheese, layer 1-2 pieces of ham. Roll each chicken piece up and secure with toothpicks.
4. Place flour in a shallow bowl, eggs in another bowl, and both panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a third, stirring to combine.
5. Working with one pieced of chicken at a time, dredge in flour, rolling the chicken around to cover the whole pieced, then in eggs, and finally in bread crumb mixture. Use your fingers to press bread crumb mixture in on all side of chicken.
6. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle melted butter evenly over chicken. Bake for about 25-35 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 164 degrees. If desired, place pan under the broiler to lightly brown the tops of the chicken.
7. Cook for 10 minutes before serving. Remove toothpicks.
**I like to combine one can of condensed cream of chicken soup with 1/2 can of milk. Stir until combined and heat through. Use this as a sauce on top of the Chicken Cordon Bleu**