Sunday, April 27, 2008

They are baking as we speak: German Chocolate Bars

German Chocolate Bars

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 package German chocolate cake mix
1 tub coconut pecan frosting
6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup milk

Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease sides and bottoms of 13 x 9 x2 pan with shortening. Cut butter into cake mix with pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until crumbly. Press half of the mixture (2 1/2 cups) in bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes.

Carefully spread frosting over baked layer; sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Stir milk into remaining cake mixture. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto chocolate chips.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until cake portion is slightly dry to the touch. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm. For bars, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.


My bars are in the oven. I just realized that I added too much milk - 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup. Oops, I guess I didn't read the directions very well. This recipe comes from Betty Crocker's Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbook. This is my first time baking this recipe! I will let you know if they are good! The picture in the cookbook looks very delicious!

No comments: