Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes

I tried a new recipe Sunday because Chad/Marne & family along with David & Tisha were coming over. It turned out pretty good - when I made it I forgot to use the pineapple juice in place of the water needed in the cake mix (it could have tasted even better). The recipe got thrown away (it was on the pineapple can) - but it was pretty easy.

6 T. butter
1 c. brown sugar
2 T. corn syrup
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional - I like cinnamon)
1 can crushed pineapple (or another can and just blend up the pineapple and reserve the juice)
yellow cake mix
maraschino cherries, optional

Makes 24 cupcakes

Melt the butter and then add the brown sugar and corn syrup (cinnamon is optional); mix well. Grease cupcake pans - do not use cupcake liners with this recipe. Then place a spoonful of the sugar mixture in the bottom of each cupcake holder. Top with spoonful of pineapple (I didn't have enough pineapple with the one can - so I also used some fresh pineapple that I had on hand. I just blended it up. Or you could use a pineapple ring if it will fit in the bottom of the cupcake pan). Then prepare cake mix according to the box directions - remember to use the pineapple juice in place of the water. Then add prepared cake batter to each cupcake holder. Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes, until done. I found that I had to carefully remove each cupcake with a large spoon - then you may want to top it with a cherry. This would be great with cool whip on the side or vanilla ice cream.

No comments: