Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Here are some recipes from my blog... oh and for future posts- let's include a label category: main dish, dessert, midnight munchies....you know what I mean-

These recipes feed our small family comfortably- one serving each with leftovers for lunch the next day so you might want to double them.

This one is so simple and a food storage delight! Soo good




Creamy Tortilla Soup

2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chilies (I made it with medium heat- a little zingy- Smith's has Del Monte canned tomatoes with chilies mild on sale right now)
2 cans (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
1 can refried beans (I love the brand Rosarita- you can buy a large case of these at Costco for $6 something- oh I puree these for Chay-He doesn't like the texture of beans)
1 cup canned corn- I put in the whole can
2-3 cups cooked chicken shredded or cubed
cilantro, sour cream, Monterey Jack Cheese

Combine tomatoes and broth. Stir in beans and corn. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add Chicken and heat through- Top with sour cream, cilantro, cheese, chips- I think it would be good with a bread bowl-


This turned out to be so tasty- better than the restaurant



Broccoli and Beef stir-fry

4 tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp water
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 lb round steak- cut into strips (I used sirloin top steak- found it super cheap at smith's)
olive oil- you can use vegetable oil obviously- grape seed oil is by far the best to stir fry with- it is so good for you- plus it cooks the best- albertson's sells it.
4 cups fresh broccoli
1 onion cut into wedges
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
Cooked brown rice

In a bowl, combine 3 tbsp cornstarch with 3 tbsp water until smooth. Add beef strips and toss. In a large skillet or wok over medium heat- stir fry beef in 1 tbsp oil until beef reaches desired doneness; remove and keep warm. Stir fry broccoli and onion (add other vegetables too if you want) for 5-6 minutes. Return beef to pan. Combine soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, ginger, and remaining cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the pan- cook and stir for 2-3 minutes- serve over rice.

Ok the next recipe I am passionate about- I am not joking- it is so incredibly delicious- Chay still talks about it- I think I will make this for my family in Orlando- I feel like Rachael Ray when I am making it-



Italian Rigatoni

1 (12 ounces) package Rigatoni
1 1/2 pounds italian sausage cut into 1 inch pieces (on sale at Smith's- I used only 3 sausage links)
1 large onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
2 cans (14.5 ounces) italian diced tomatoes undrained (basil, oregano and garlic Del Monte diced tomatoes are on sale this week for $.50 a can- not incredibly cheap but they are so dang good- so who cares- I bought 25 cans today.
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp basil leaves- or ground I suppose
1 tsp thyme leaves- ground if you want
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp butter- secret ingredient- so it’s a little fatty- but come on- just enjoy it.

In a large skillet, cook sausage until brown. Add onion and garlic and sauté with sausage. Add tomatoes, cilantro, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and butter. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over rigatoni pasta. Garnish with cheese of choice-Mozzarella and/or Parmesan

1 comment:

Tami said...

I made this - it was oh so good:)