My husband and I love breakfast casseroles...especially my husband! I found this recipe from Betty Crocker one day and have loved it since. The original recipe can be found HERE. I alter it slightly. I use 1/2 or less of the sausage it calls for. Sometimes I add bacon in it too...Whatever I have on hand. And when I have mushrooms....I saute those too with the onions and green peppers. Yum!! I especially like that is doesn't call for 12 eggs like most breakfast casseroles do. I prefer using the bisquick mix in breakfast casseroles. This is easy and yummy! Gotta try it!
- packages (12 oz each) bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1 cup Original Bisquick™ mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
1 Heat oven to 400°F. Grease rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches. Cook sausage, bell pepper and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir together sausage mixture, potatoes and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese in baking dish.
- 2 Stir Bisquick mix, milk, pepper and eggs until blended. Pour into baking dish.
- 3 Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer or just until cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes.