Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grandma Clark's Whole Wheat Bread


3 qts. lukewarm water
2 TB. dry yeast
3 TB. salt
3 TB. sugar
5 qts. wheat flour - sifted
1 cup powered milk

(I didn't copy the instructions word for word - I wish I had. They were brief).

I added the water, yeast and sugar and let that sit for about 10 minutes. Then I added the salt, four and powered milk and mixed that thoroughly. It barely fit into my old Bosch mixer (Grandma Anderson's old one she gave me). Then I removed it and let it sit for hours on the counter covered - I wished I had a large enough metal bowl like grandma did. Then I kneaded it a little and let it continue to rise for 3 hours! Then I put it in the pans and let it rise again.

I baked it at 350 until done - 30 minutes or so. I can't remember.

If this makes no sense at all - just make up your own instructions or look at another recipe. This make many loaves of bread! I didn't sift my flour because I freshly ground the wheat just minutes before making the bread.

3 comments:

Marne said...

HOLY COW! Why would you make so many loaves of bread at once?

Second question: does it taste good without oil or butter?

Jody said...

Thanks for the recipe Tiff - I'm going to try it. I will cut it down though...

Tiffani said...

I thought it tasted good without butter and oil - I think it needed the whole amount of salt, though.

I didn't have another bread to compare it to.