Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sweet and Sour Sauce

Today I canned sweet and sour sauce for the first time ever!  I came up with a recipe using variations of three different recipes from Set for Life, Better Homes and Gardens, and Tammy Price's book, All Things Provident.  I had extra green peppers and lots of tomatoes from the garden, so I thought what the heck let's put them to use.

4 cups chopped onion
4 cups chopped green pepper
8 cups tomato puree (I just ran fresh, raw tomatoes through my food strainer)
2 (20 oz) cans pineapple chunks with juice
3 cups white granulated sugar
3 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 cups white vinegar
1 cup water

1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. chicken or beef bouillon (I happened to use beef)
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. ginger

1 T. red pepper flakes (optional - if you want to add some kick, or add it later when serving if you want)

2 1/2 cups Ultra Gel 

Chop onions and peppers to desired size.  Add onions, green peppers, tomato puree, pineapple chunks with juice, sugars, vinegar, water and all seasonings into pot.  Bring to a boil and then slowly add Ultra Gel, stirring constantly so there aren't any lumps, until thickened.  Ladle into jars and process for 35 minutes in a water bath (for pints and quarts).  It makes 6 quarts or 12 pints.

No comments: