Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My New Favorite Healthier Blueberry Muffin

I love this healthier recipe.  The original recipe was found on allrecipes.com here.  I tweaked it a little according to what ingredients I had on hand and changed the baking temperature.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup oat bran  (I used 1/4 cup of all bran cereal that I ground up in the blender)
1/4 cup wheat germ (I left this out because I'm out)

1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts  (I left these out)
1 banana, mashed
1 cup buttermilk  (I used 1/2 cup plain yogurt and 1/2 cup water instead)
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 Topping:
3T. sugar mixed with 3/4 tsp. nutmeg - sprinkle this on top of muffin batter prior to baking
 
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan, or line with paper muffin cups.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, oat bran, quick-cooking oats, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently stir in the blueberries and walnuts. In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed banana, buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix just until blended. Spoon into muffin cups, filling all the way to the top.  Sprinkle muffins with topping.
  3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly touched.

 

No comments: