Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies


I found this recipe (and photo) on the blog, My Kitchen Cafe (one of my favorites). Here is her original post.
Adapted from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook and taken from smittenkitchen.com

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened (I used salted butter and cut the 1/4 teaspoon salt down to 1/8 teaspoon)
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature
¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon (for sprinkling) sugar*
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup peanut butter chips
½ cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the peanut butter chips. Place sprinkling sugar on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a fork, lightly indent with a crissscross pattern but do not overly flatten cookies (I used the back of a flat spatula to flatten – don’t ask me why I avoided the crisscross pattern).
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (I only baked mine for about 9 minutes). Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.
Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.
Tiff's Tips: *I pressed my cookie dough into the sugar before placing them on the baking sheet so they were covered, so it takes more sugar than listed above.
I didn't have any peanut butter chips, so I used 1 cup of chocolate chips and they turned out wonderful! They were a hit at Vivian's Bday party.

1 comment:

Marne said...

Yes, they were delicious! And I love that blog too. Some of my favorite meals from My Kitchen Cafe are:

Oatmeal Pancake Mix (delicious!)
Ham and Pasta Skillet Dinner (perfect for leftover ham)
Italian Meatball Subs
Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Ultimate Beef Stroganoff

And I love how she tries to not cook with processed foods. I am trying out her homemade yellow cake mix soon!