Sunday, July 20, 2008

Crème Brule French Toast

This recipe was given to me by Suszette Rockwood – Tami knows who she is. Suszette lived in Alaska the same time we did – I didn’t remember her from there. However, we were V.T. companions in the Liberty Ward. She brought breakfast to me after Vivian was born and it has been one of my favorites ever since.

In sauce pan melt:
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter (1 stick)
2 T. corn syrup

Pour melted mixture in 9 x 13 pan – top with 1” thick slices of regular French bread (wheat or white). I try to fit as many pieces in the pan, but I do always have left over bread.

In bowl whisk together:
1 ½ cups half and half (I use the fat-free kind)
5 eggs
1 T. vanilla

Pour egg mixture on top of the bread in the pan. Now let French Toast chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight. Bake at 350 for 20-35 minutes until slightly golden brown. (I have made it before without letting it chill in the fridge – and it has still turned out good).

No comments: