Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chili #2

I don't know the real name of this chili - I just know that during the chili cook-off at a family reunion, this one was labeled #2 (for voting purposes). It happened to be the chili that Paul's mother, Juanita, made.

I called her for the recipe. She gave me a good idea of the basics ingredients, but it sounds like she just throws it together and it is a little different each time she makes it according to her creativity that day.

ground pork
2-3 garlic gloves, minced
1 chopped onion
28 oz can stew tomatoes and 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes, blend them in blender (I'm guessing the ounces - it is a big one and a smaller one)
1 fresh jalepeno finely chopped, seeds removed
1 jar salsa verde
2 big cans green chilies
salt and pepper
square box of chicken broth (size?)

She browns the pork and onions then adds 1/8 cup flour to the pan. Then stir in the broth and little bit of water to wash out your tomato cans. Add remaining ingredients.

Tiff: That's all I know. I haven't tried this myself yet - just know it was really good. It was a little spicy but that could be controlled with how much of a jalepeno you add to the chili.

No comments: