Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spicy Pork Chili

This recipe is taken from "The Best of Slow Cooker Recipes." This wasn't spicy because I cut the cayenne pepper in half.

2 lbs boneless pork, cut into 1/2 inch cubes- I used chicken
1 T. oil
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn - I forgot the corn
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped onion - I use dehydrated onions
1 cup beef broth - I used one beef broth cube and 1 cup water
1 can (4 0z) chopped green chilies
1 T. chili powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (the original recipe calls for double that)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (I didn't have any on hand)
Shredded cheddar cheese, optional

In a large skillet, cook meat in oil over medium high heat for 5-6 minutes or until browned. Transfer meat and drippings into crockpot.

Stir in the tomatoes, corn, beans, onion, broth, chilies, chili powder, garlic, salt, cayenne and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in cilantro. Serve with cheese if desired.

Yield: 6 Servings. This barely fed our family because they all loved it. Next time I will double the recipe.

No comments: