This recipe is taken from allrecipes.com and is called Lola's Horchata. It turned out great the second time Paul made it - look at my tips below.
Tiff's Tips: Break up the rice really good in the blender. Then let it stand for 8 hours to really give it a good rice flavor. I might even suggest adding only 4 cups of water, so it's a little more concentrated in rice flavor (but I haven't tried that yet - you could always add more water if it was too strong). I cut the original amount of cinnamon in half, it was too powerful!
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup uncooked white long-grain rice
- Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute. Let rice and water stand at room temperature for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice. Stir the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar into the rice water. Chill and stir before serving over ice.