Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cheese Soup

We love this soup! It's my mom's recipe, and I grew up loving this soup. I always double the recipe when I make this so we can have leftovers. It freezes well. When I made this tonight I didn't put in as much butter and it turned out fine. Also, this is a great recipe to use your powdered milk in! Rotate that food storage!

2 c. finely diced potatoes (I like red)
1/2 c. finely diced celery
2 c. boiling water with salt and garlic (I use 1 clove)
1/2 c. carrots, grated
1/4 c. finely diced onion

Cook all vegetables in the boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Make the cheese sauce while the above is cooking:

1/4 c. butter
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c. flour w/ dash of pepper
2 c. milk

Make a roux with the butter and flour (melt butter in the saucepan, then whisk in the flour until smooth.) Gradually add the milk and heat slowly until boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add the grated cheese, stirring until melted. Add the cheese sauce to the vegetables. Do not boil after the cheese is melted in, or it will curdle.

This is a great soup to serve in bread bowls!

No comments: