Saturday, August 9, 2008

Homemade granola bars

I found this recipe for homemade granola bars last week, and I made them last night. They turned out SO YUMMY! I didn't have sunflower seeds, so I left those out (my kids wouldn't eat them anyway) but I did put in the almonds. I had whole almonds and just crushed them up in my chopper. We put chocolate chips in ours, but like the recipe says anything would be yummy! (Next time we want to try mini m&m's). In the link there is also nutritional info. Thanks to Ann for a fabulous recipe!

5 cups quick oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup almonds
1/3 c. sunflower seeds
1 cup dry powdered milk (not reconstituted)
1 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil (I substituted canola when I was low on olive...it was good too)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla (2 tsp. if you like vanilla flavor)
if desired add: 1 cup chocolate chips, craisens, raisens, apple chips, ANYTHING you want!)

Mix all ingredients together, press into cookie sheet, bake at 300 for 30 min. Cut into bar shape while still warm and let cool in the cookie sheet for a few hours. When they are cool, store them in an airtight container. Yields 44 granola bars

For crunchy granola: bake 45 minutes. Break into small pieces and store in airtight container.

No comments: